I always thought Black Licorice was gross, but it turns out it's also bad for you.

A 54-year-old man in Boston died recently from an overdose of black licorice when his heart stopped.

The FDA says eating 2 ounces a day for 2 weeks can cause heart rhythm issues in folks over the age of 40. That's 5 Twizzler sized pieces.

Our victim collapsed in a fast-food restaurant after merely weeks after switching from eating red to black licorice. Doctors found his potassium levels to be dangerously low, presumably caused by the licorice he was eating, at a bag and a half a day for a few weeks leading up to his death.

Read more at NBC 10 - Boston

97X logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app


CHECK IT OUT: See the 100 most popular brands in America

More From 97X