Bettendorf Schools Files Waiver To Start Remote Learning On Monday
Just like several other school districts in the QCA, another Quad Cities school district is moving their students fully online because of COVID-19.
On Tuesday, officials from the Bettendorf Community School District announced on their website that they have filed a waiver with the state of Iowa to move students fully online starting on Monday.
School officials said in the press release that this decision is due to COVID-19 positivity rates in the area. Bettendorf school officials also site that the absence of staff has risen.
According to the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) the 14-day COVID-19 positivity rate in Scott County has risen to 26.2%. School officials say that rate has passed the "substantial uncontrolled zone."
Superintendent of Bettendorf schools Dr. Michelle Morse filed the waiver on Tuesday, November 17. Even though the Iowa Department of Education has yet to approve the filing, the school district wants families and students to be prepared.
If the waiver is approved, the Bettendorf schools remote learning model will take effect on Monday, November 23 and extend through Wednesday, December 9. Thanksgiving break for Bettendorf schools is still scheduled for November 25 to Friday, November 27, and school will not be held on those dates.
Below is the list of other schools in the Quad Cities that are currently or are planning to go to full remote learning:
- Moline-Coal Valley School District: Remote learning starts Monday, November 16 and continue to Tuesday, January 5, 2021.
- Davenport Schools: Start remote learning Monday, November 16 and continue to Tuesday, December 10.
- Rock Island-Milan School District: Using Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the switch to remote learning. Full-time remote learning states Wednesday, November 18 and go through Monday, January 18, 2021.
- East Moline School District: Starts remote learning Monday, November 16 until at least Tuesday, December 8
- Clinton School District: Starts remote learning on Thursday, November 19 through Thursday, December 3.