U.S. Route 66 Listed in Top 11 Most Endangered Historic Sites
The National Trust for Historic Preservation just put out a list of the most endangered historic sites in America for 2018.
They've released this annual list for about 31 years and have seen less than 5% of the listed sites lost. That's a pretty good track record for saving historic places. Their aim is to highlight architectural and cultural heritage that could potentially fall by the wayside.
Here are the 11 historic sites for 2018 that they say are endangered:
- Annapolis’ City Dock Area in Annapolis, Mayland.
- Ashley River Historic District in Charleston County, South Carolina.
- Dr. Susan LaFlesche Picotte Memorial Hospital in Walthill, Nebraska.
- Historic Resources of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Isaiah T. Montgomery House in Mound Bayou, Mississippi.
- Larimer Square in Denver, Colorado.
- Mary and Eliza Freeman Houses in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
- Mount Vernon & Piscataway National Park in Mount Vernon, Virginia and Accokeek, Maryland.
- Ship on the Desert in Salt Flat, Texas.
- U.S. Route 66
- Walkout Schools of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California.
Read more at National Trust for Historic Preservation.