Doctors Pull Worm from Woman’s Tonsil After She Ate Sashimi
This is why I don't eat fish as a policy, especially raw fish.
On July 8th, St. Luke's International Hospital reported on a woman who came in complaining of a sore throat.
A quick examination revealed a "black moving worm" that was moving around in her left tonsil, which was determined to be a parasitic roundworm, called Pseudoterranova azarasi.
In the report, they said the woman mentioned having a sore throat ever since she had a "meal of assorted sashimi" 5 days before.
The hospital wrote that her symptoms drastically improved after they performed a tweezer removal.
The worm measure in at 38 millimeters (1.5 inches) long and a millimeter wide. Doctors noted it was "molting the outer cuticle, revealing this worm was a fourth-stage larva of Pseudoterranova azarasi."
Usually the worm isn't known to infect the digestive tract, but if it does, typically takes up residency in the stomach, which requires an endoscopy for removal.
According to the Global Change Biology, "sushi parasites" are on the rise, and are calling for better inspections, and further study on the trending rise, which could threaten marine life.
The woman will make a full recovery.
Read more at New York Post