178-Year-Old Vampire-Slaying Kit Going to Auction
A kit with objects supposedly made to kill vampires is up for auction at Hanson Auctioneers in the UK.
The box, which is velvet-covered and lockable, is lined with crimson silk and contains a myriad of tools for taking care of bloodsuckers, including:
- Oval enamel painting depicting the resurrection of Christ
- Carved ivory wolf in robes carrying rosary beads
- Percussion cap pocket pistol
- Cobalt blue glass vial (contents unknown)
- Three clear and aqua bottles
- Rosary beads
- Three crucifixes
- Two sets of pliers
- Pocket knife with mother-of-pearl handle and HM silver blade
- Bottle containing shark's teeth
- Copy of the New Testament
The kit has gotten a lot of attention because of its uniquity, and is starting bid of $1500, but is expected to reach at least $2,500.
The unnamed “I know very little of its history. I have had it in my own collection for three years now. I bought it from a large antiques fair in Newark. I loved the look of the Gothic box and, when I opened it, I just had to have it. I thought it was so interesting - a great conversation piece.”