We Judged The Mississippi Valley Fair Food Contest And It Was Very Hard
To kick off the Mississippi Valley Fair 2022, a 'Taste of the QC' competition was held for the food vendors. Judges were needed so, of course, we stepped up to the plate.
Goose from 97X and Sarah from B100 were two of the judges in 'Taste of the QC' on Tuesday afternoon. It's a competition among the food vendors to see who can impress the judges with the best fair fare.
The judges all received a piece of paper and instructions to write down our top 3 plates. It was kind of hard since there were so many categories: sweet, savory, barbecued, or fried. But we made it happen.
Here are the dishes we tried and the vendors that brought them:
- Cookies & Dreams: Sweet Cherry Dreams Trifle & Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Real Wisconsin Cheese: Cheddar Nuggets & Jalapeno Cheese
- Pot Crew BBQ: Loaded Baked Potato with 'Smokey and the Bandit Sauce' (whatever it is, it was good)
- Moz Bites: Samosas (fillings of spicy chicken or veggies, served with sweet and sour sauce or honey mustard)
- Jada's Concession: Chicken On A Stick
- Steve's Meat Shop: Spicy Italian Corn Dog (this was in our top 3's.)
- Gonzo's: Mini Macho (nacho plate covered in cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, meat, et al)
- Greater Tater: Fried Ravioli
- Wild Bill's Old Fashioned Soda: Vanilla Cream & Rocky Mountain Root Beer
- Smokin' Butts: Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese
- Famous Dave's: BBQ Pork Mac & Cheese Bowl
- Bacon Barn: Bacon Mac & Cheese with a Bacon-Wrapped Meatball, Candied Bacon & Spicy Bacon. In A Waffle Cone.
- Peking Food: Crab Rangoon, Egg Rolls, Shrimp Fried Rice
- The Best Around Concession: Philly Cheesesteak
- The Best Around Concession: Cajun Chicken on a Stick
- Bryan's Concessions: Sirloin Tip Meal
- Parkview Lutheran Church: Sloppy Joes
and last but not least...if a winner was given for menu item name...
- Little Blue Elephant: Monkey Balls (it's salmon & cream cheese in a ball, fried, with spicy mayo on top)
The winner, which made both of our lists, was Cookies & Dreams! Honestly, the cool cherry trifle in 90-whatever degree weather was a big plus for it on my palate.
Scroll down to see some of the food we tried and what you might want to check out this week!