Iowa Ranked #8 Happiest State, Illinois Significantly Lower On List
There's a lot of reasons for people to be happy, and reasons to be unhappy. It turns out where you live is playing big into your happiness, so why not move somewhere happier?
Zippia conducted a study of all 50 states, ranking them from happiest to least happy based off of six categories.
- Depression Rate
- Household Income
- Commute Length
- Hours Worked
- Marriage Rate
They said they immediately had questions about including marriage rates, to which they reply "Believe it or not, people are happier married."
Iowa lands on the list at #8 happiest state:
- Depression Rate: 4.9/10
- Median Household Income: $59,955
- Commute: 19.1 minutes (about 7 minutes under the national average)
- Marriage Rate: 52.9%
Illinois lands at #33 on the list:
- Depression Rate: 4/10
- Median Household Income: $65,030
- Commute: 29 minutes (gotta drive to Iowa)
- Marriage Rate: 50%
Some other random facts:
- The Dakotas and Wyoming tied for shortest commute at 17 minutes.
- Utah, Oregon, and Vermont have the shortest workweek, tying at 37 hours per week.
Read the full list at Zippia