East Coast vs West Coast Pale Ales
The good news is I talked to Charlie Cole from the Blue Cat Brewing Company and had 2 beers with him. The bad news is that we were on zoom due to covid bullcrap and none of those beers were for me.
In episodes past we talked about IPAs and the difference between East Coast & West Coast styles. Today he was holding Pale Ales that he brewed and tapped on Friday, so they're nice & fresh.
The West Coast pale ale is crystal clear with a beautiful copper color. It'll have a bitter bite to begin with and a nice caramel backbone to it.
The East Coast Pale Ale is going to be the exact opposite. It's golden, opaque, with a soft, fluffy mouth feel, with juicy hops and no bitterness to speak of.
- BACK ON TRACK - West Coast style Pale Ale hopped entirely with Hop Alliance Michigan grown Cascade hops. 5.6%
- STARDUST PRINCESS - East Coast style Hazy Pale Ale brewed in collaboration with Geneseo Brewing Co. hopped with Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, and Mosaic hops. 5.4%
It's one of the things I love about craft beer. There are so many styles and variants of those styles that you could go on forever tasting new beer.
Here's a tip...find a style you may like then try several variants of that style to see what it is you like about it. Keep that in mind when ordering more beer.
- The Man in Black American Black Ale, Back on Track West Coast Pale Ale, Stardust Princess East Coast Hazy Pale Ale, and Just Beer at Blue Cat Brewing Co.
- Full Motion Double IPA and Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Sour Ginger Ale at Adventurous Brewing
- Reclaim Hazy IPA and Dank Nectar Double IPA at Great Revivalist Brew Lab
- Thirsty Panda American Pale Ale at Galena Brewing Company Moline Ale House
- German’s Chocolate Cake Imperial Brown Ale and Chocolate Milk Stout at Contrary Brewing
- Apricot Hefeweizen at Front Street Brewery Coffee Brown Ale and Sacred Geometry Hazy Pale Ale at Stompbox Brewing
- Gator Done German Light Lager at Twin Span Brewing Dubbel Dragon Belgian at Nerdspeak Brewery
- Major Nelson Pale Ale at Crawford Brew Works MAWtherload Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Passion Fruit Stout at Midwest Ale Works
- REZN Imperial Stout at WAKE Brewin