Relationship Problems That Surface Around the Holidays
While the holidays can be the most wonderful time of the year, they can also put a lot of strain on our relationships. Throwing busy schedules, relatives, increased spending, and travel into the mix, things can get stressful quick.
Marriage therapists say these are the most common relationship problems that surface this time of year:
- Holiday spending. Especially if you're not honest about it, make a budget together and stick to it.
- Resentment over where you're spending the holidays. Some people say they don't care where they spend Christmas, but secretly wish they were with their family.
- Drinking that gets out of hand. We drink twice as much during the holiday, that alone can cause a lot of drama.
- Holiday traditions that clash. Try to compromise so one person doesn't hog the holidays. Incorporate both of your traditions or do a trade-off.
- Drama with the in-laws. It's easy for family stress to cause problems in your relationship too. Be mindful of it and try to stay on the same team.
- Gifts that don't measure up. This is why agreeing on a budget might be a good idea. Set a max amount and then stick to it.