Being Too Nice At Work Can Backfire
It's a shame to think that there's less nice people in the world because their niceness was taken advantage of. Here's how being too nice can backfire on you.
- People can take advantage of you. Niceness can be confused for weakness and if they think you won't stand up for yourself, they'll try to manipulate you.
- They might question your motives. You might seem like a brown-noser to your boss or like you're trying to manipulate coworkers.
- You can seem boring. Nice is great if you can back it up with a personality. If "nice" is your defining characteristic, you'll come across as passive and bland.
- You might start sacrificing too much of your time by helping. Constantly helping coworkers will cause you to fall behind on your own work.
- People might stop listening to you. Being too nice can make you seem like a pushover. Make sure people realize you can say no and put your foot down if you need to.
- If you suddenly change your tone, you'll seem like a jerk. If you're always nice before finally standing up for yourself, the contrast can catch people off guard.
Read more at Business Insider.