How to Protect Yourself Against Porch Pirates This Holiday Season
Package theft is on the rise and you know it's only going to get worse this month. If porch pirates have struck your home or neighborhood, here are some tips to keep your packages safe.
- Ship things to an Amazon locker, a UPS or FedEx store or to your work. Make sure your boss is cool with you receiving personal packages.
- Team up with neighbors. If you have a neighbor who's retired or works from home, ask them if you can ship something to their house or if they'd collect any packages left at your door.
- Request a signature delivery. The downside is somebody needs to be home to sign for it.
- Track packages online. Sign up for delivery notifications in case the package gets delayed or delivered earlier than expected.
- Install security cameras. Several camera systems record and send real-time alerts to your phone when the motion detector senses movement.
- Make it look like you're home. Even small changes can make a thief pass your house for an easier target.