Here’s How Long You Can Hoard Halloween Candy Before It Expires
I'm not one to let something like expiration dates get in the way of my good time. But I guess some people won't eat stale candy.
Actually, I didn't even know that candy would expire. I figured all the sugar packed in there just kept it perpetually fresh.
According to the National Confectioners Association, this is how long various types of candy will keep:
- Milk and White Chocolate: 8 to 10 months.
- Dark Chocolate: 1 to 2 years if wrapped in foil and stored properly.
- Hard Candy: Up to 1 year when stored properly.
- Candy Corn: About 9 months while sealed and approximately 3 to 6 months after the package has been opened.
- Jellied candies: Up to 1 year unopened. After opening, keep in a covered candy dish 6 to 9 months.
- Gum: 6 to 9 months, as long as the packaging is sealed.
- Caramel: 6 to 9 months when stored properly.