You’re Throwing These Foods Away Too Soon
A recent study found the average family of four throws away the equivalent of 11 meals a month. But those "sell-by" dates we all worry about are really just a guideline.
You can still use most foods after they expire, here are eight foods that all last at least a week longer than their sell-by dates.
- Milk. It's usually good for another week.
- Yogurt. Also about a week.
- Hot dogs. At least another week after they expire.
- Bacon. It lasts about a week longer than the use-by date as long as it's unopened.
- Eggs. They're good for about a month after the sell-by date.
- Butter. Also about a month.
- Cream cheese. Again, it's still good about a month after the sell-by date.
- Other types of cheese. A block of cheese can last up to a month-and-a-half after you open it, unless there's mold. Even then, you can just cut it off and eat the rest. If there's mold in pre-shredded cheese or soft cheeses like ricotta, throw it away.
Read more at Huffington Post.