The Grossest Food That People Love in Every State
Thrillist just put together a list of the grossest food that people love in every state. Not to divide this country even more, but damn, so many other states have terrible taste in food.
Here are some of the highlights of the list:
- Akutaq in Alaska. That's "Eskimo Ice Cream," but not delicious Eskimo Pies. It's a mix of seal and other animal fats, with berries, and sometimes sugar and milk.
- New Haven Clam Pie in Connecticut. That's pizza with clams and white sauce.
- Lamb fries in Kentucky. Those are deep-fried lamb testicles.
- Koolickle in Mississippi. That's a pickle soaked in Kool-Aid. WHAT?
- Cincinnati Chili Five-Way in Ohio. It's spaghetti with chili instead of red sauce, plus cheese, beans, and onions on top.
- Chop Suey Sandwich in Rhode Island. Yes, they put chop suey between two hamburger buns.
One thing I have to dispute is what they chose for Iowa. Who thinks loose-meat sandwiches are gross?!
On a fundamental level, what is essentially a combination of ground beef and carbs can only achieve so much grossness. That said, Iowa;s famed loose-meat sandwiches (most associated with the Maid-Rite chain) are doing themselves as few aesthetic favors as possible with an admittedly solid foundation. It looks like a Sloppy Joe that forgot to get dressed, or a burger that just gave up on life. The taste ain't gonna hurt ya -- again, it's bread and meat -- but it isn't likely to win any sandwich beauty contests, either. Also, "loose meat" just isn't the most appealing phrasing. Maybe an image makeover is in order.
Read more at Thrillist.