REAL ID Required to Enter Rock Island Arsenal Next Week
Starting next week you will only be able to get onto the Rock Island Arsenal with identification that meets the new “REAL ID” standards. That means a regular driver’s licenses will not work without additional documents, or an escort.
Here's the statement released by the Rock Island Arsenal:
As a result of Department of Defense guidance, effective Monday, Jan. 18, Rock Island Arsenal will no longer accept Illinois state driver's licenses or identification cards from states that issue licenses or identification cards that are not compliant with the Federal Real ID Act of 2005 as a primary means to obtain a pass to enter the Arsenal. However, those who are not in possession of an approved secondary document, listed below, may still enter Rock Island Arsenal, but only under escort of authorized personnel.
The Federal Real ID Act of 2005 established minimum standards for the production and issuance of state-issued driver licenses and identification cards which include requirements for a photograph and certain biographic information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address. As of Dec. 31, states not compliant with the REAL ID Act standards are Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico and Washington.
For the purpose of flying through airports only, the Department of Homeland Security has extended the State of Illinois compliancy deadline to Jan. 22, 2018. The Department of Defense has directed that all installations to no longer accept non-REAL ID compliant identification cards as primary means of identification to gain a pass for access to installations after the successful completion of a criminal background check as of Jan. 10.
Individuals with a current/valid driver's license or state issued identification card from a Real ID Act-compliant state or state with a REAL ID Act extension for implementation may use their form of ID to obtain an installation pass upon successful completion of the criminal background check.
A non-compliant REAL ID driver's license or state issued identification card may still be presented at the Rock Island Visitor Control Center, but for an installation pass, it must be accompanied by one of the following secondary forms of identification:
- United States Passport or United States Passport Card
- Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
- Foreign passport with a temporary (I-551) stamp or temporary (I-551) printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa
- Employment authorization document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
- In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
- Driver License or ID card issued by Federal or Local Government Agencies meeting REAL ID standards with photo, name, DOB, gender, height, eye color & address
- U.S. Military or draft record
- U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Cards
- Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC)
- Native American Tribal Document
Read more at Army.com.