Around two months ago, Quad Cities staple Whitey's Ice Cream gained national attention. Not for their delicious treats, but for one of their employee's act of kindness.

16-year-old Brenden McGee was helping a woman in the drive through line. The woman was struggling to speak between tears, McGee knew she was having a tough time. Once he finally understood her order, he made her shake, handed it to the woman and said, "your shake is on me tonight, you have a good night."

One week later, the woman returned to Whitey's requesting to speak to a manager. The woman told the manager that she was struggling that evening with the loss of her husband and that Brenden's act of kindness really helped her in her time of need.

Unfortunately, the tables have turned and now Brenden is the one seeking out the kindness of others.

The following is an excerpt from Brenden's page:

On Tuesday, December 2, 2015, Brenden woke up and felt he slept on his neck wrong. He had difficulty moving his head. On Wednesday, it was the same thing. Thursday morning, he asked me to call him in sick to school. On Friday, December 4, I took him dinner at work and seen his neck was swollen to twice the size as normal. After asking many people, everyone seemed to think he had mono. I took him to the Express care on Saturday, December 5. The doctor there looked at him and immediately told me to take him to Trinity West to have a CT scan. It was then that we were told there was a high probability that he had lymphoma.
Our family doctor got us set up with Iowa City first thing Monday morning. A second CT scan was done, and we found affected lymph nodes in Brenden's neck, under his left arm, down his chest wall lining, and in his groin. There was also a large mass in his neck, going down into his chest.
Brenden's first surgery was done on December 8, 2015. It was then that they found a mass measuring 4" x 3" in diameter. Unfortunately, the initial reading of the biopsy was inconclusive, and they could not tell us if Brenden had lymphoma or some type of infection. We were released from the hospital late on Wednesday, December 9, with the promise of a phone call on Thursday with the results.
The phone call came at 1:00pm on Thursday, December 10, 2015. It was cancer, and they were pretty certain it is Hodgkins Lymphoma, and the mass in his neck was, in fact, a tumor.

The family is now asking for donations to help offset the cost of the unforeseen bills that will coincide with McGee's cancer.

The McGee family created a Go Fund Me for Brenden on Monday, Dec. 14. I'm asking you to pay it forward, just as Brenden did just a few months ago, and donate what you can to help Brenden and his family.

Brenden gained almost national attention for his random act of kindness at Whitey's....

Posted by Whitey's Ice Cream on Tuesday, December 15, 2015