How to Become a “Regular” at Any Bar
You know you've always wanted to be a 'regular' at your local bar and maybe score some free drinks. But it takes a little work. Here's how to do it.
- Always leave a tip. It's probably the most important step. You should over-tip at first and when they start giving you free drinks, make sure you leave a tip for those too.
- Always sit at the bar, even if you get food. That way you can talk to the bartenders and get to know them. They'll start treating you like a regular a lot faster.
- Try to go at the same time, on the same day. You want to deal with the same bartenders as much as possible, and most bars have a regular schedule for staff. If they're working on a Thursday at 5:00 P.M., they probably work every Thursday.
- Order the same drink for a while. That way they'll know what you want before you order it. When your drink gets low, they might just hand you another one on the house.
- Never ask for a free drink. You might get one free drink out of them, but then you'll never get another one. Also don't act like a V.I.P. If it's busy, you still have to wait.
Read more at Thrillist.