German Shepherd Credited With Saving Family From Gas Leak
A German shepherd in Long Neck, Delaware found out how to get a steak dinner. All she had to do was save her family's lives.
At about 3 A.M. one morning, 5-year-old Greta started barking and crying to get her owner's attention. Ken Walsh got out of bed to quiet her, but she wasn't having it.
Greta, who is normally the quietest dog in the house, kept making noise and pushed Ken to the kitchen. That's when he smelled the gas leak.
Ken, his wife, his 14-year-old son, and their five dogs and three cats were saved thanks to Greta. They believe one of the dogs accidentally turned on the propane stove, the gas had already filled several rooms.
"I rescued Greta knowing she was a great dog under her patchy past," Ken said. "She has come a long way."
He thinks that she was just returning the favor. Greta's heroism was rewarded with a special dinner of steak and some sweet potatoes.