Five Foods That You’re Pronouncing Wrong
"You're Saying It Wrong" is a newly released book that takes a look at the 150 words we mispronounce the most.
Here are the top five foods you might be pronouncing wrong:
- Quinoa - Pronounced KEEN-wah. A lot of people say "KIN-wah" or "kin-OH-uh."
- Gnocchi - Pronounced NYAW-kee or NYO-key. That's the pasta made from potatoes that's a cross between pasta and little dumplings. It starts with a 'g-n.' In Italian, that makes a "nyuh" sound. So it's "NYAW-kee" or "NYO-kee," just never say "GUH-no-key."
- Pho - Pronounced Fuh. It's a Vietnamese noodle, spelled p-h-o. Most people say it like the word "foe," but it's "fuh".
- The French champagne, Moët - Pronounced Mwett. A lot of people say "Mo-AY", like the "t" is silent. But you're actually supposed to pronounce it.
- The Greek pita sandwich, Gyro - Pronounced YEE-ro. Most Americans either say "JY-ro" or "hero", like it starts with an "H". It's supposed to sound like it starts with a "y."
Read more at New York Post.