Your Skin is Absorbing Toxins From BBQ Fumes
As if grills weren't dangerous enough just being a fire hazard, apparently now they're toxic. At least that's what a new study is suggesting.
Meats that are grilled at a high temperature can release compounds called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which cause cancer. So when you take a deep breath of those delicious barbecue smells, you're being exposed to PAHs.
Those hydrocarbons get absorbed through your skin and can cause lung disease and DNA mutations. But the greatest exposure comes from eating grilled foods, followed by skin contact and inhalation of BBQ fumes.
Your clothes do protect you, but only for a short period. Researchers recommend cleaning your clothing immediately after grilling.
Read more at National Cancer Institute.