You Would Be Rich if You Stopped Buying Booze
That's right, you can save hundreds of dollars each month if cut back on buying alcohol and you don't even have to quit cold turkey.
- Only bring cash out. It's the easiest way to stay on budget. Once you start a tab with a credit card, you don't realize how much you're spending or you have a few drinks and suddenly don't care how much you spend.
- Take advantage of happy hours. There are a bunch of free apps that can help you find good ones nearby, like Happy Hour Finder, Scoutmob, and Cocktail Compass.
- Buy pitchers. If you and your friends each order your own beer, you're wasting money.
- Pre-game. You can save ten bucks if you have a drink or two before you go out. You can save even more if you eat first. The danger is if you end up drinking the same amount when you're out because you got too hammered and don't care.
- Have a glass of water between drinks. It saves money, you don't get as drunk, and your hangover isn't as bad. Bill Murray swears by this tip.