Woman Has Stomach Removed After Having a Drink With Liquid Nitrogen
A bar in England was just fined $155,000 for serving a drink that contained liquid nitrogen. Because the girl who drank it had to have her stomach removed.
Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her 18th birthday in Lancaster, England three years ago. She went to a new place called Oscar's Wine Bar. Since it was her birthday, they gave her a free drink: the Nitro-Jagermeister. It's basically Jager with some liquid nitrogen on top, to create a cloud of smoke. Sort of like dry ice.
In case you didn't know, liquid nitrogen is nasty stuff. They use it to freeze off warts, among other things. A health and safety inspector had warned them about serving it, and the bar was supposed to make people wait ten seconds before drinking it.
They told Gaby to drink it before it evaporated. She did, it froze and killed her internal tissue, kind of like getting internal frostbite.
Her stomach expanded, got perforated, and doctors had to remove it in emergency surgery. Then they built a direct connection between her esophagus and her bowels, and she spent three weeks in the hospital.
If a bartender tries to push a weird, smoky cocktail this Halloween, pass.