Tips to Save Money on Air Conditioning
You're not gonna want to hear this, but, stop setting the thermostat on your AC so low. Every degree increases your bill by 3%.
Researchers have found that if you set it a few degrees higher, your body gets used to it in a week or two. Here are some things that can help you save money on air conditioning:
- Clean your filter. If you haven't cleaned the filter on your air conditioner since last year, it's costing you more than it should to run it.
- Make sure you're using all your fans. They're way cheaper to run, so use them to circulate the cold air. And set them to run counter-clockwise in the summer.
- Make sure you're not blocking air vents with furniture. And make sure your thermostat is in a good spot. If the sun hits it or it's in a room that's warmer, the A/C will keep running even when the rest of your place is cool.
- Stop cooling down rooms you're not using. If you have an extra bedroom, keep the door closed. And if there's an air vent in there, keep that closed too.
- Keep your blinds and curtains closed. Your air conditioner has to work a lot harder if the sun's blasting in through the windows.
Read more at TIME.