Smart Tips for Back-to-School Shopping
It's August, which means it's time to start thinking about back-to-school shopping. If you've got kids, here are some tips to save you some money.
- Shop on tax-free holidays. Iowa is having a sales tax holiday this weekend, you can purchase certain back-to-school items without paying sales tax.
- Splurge strategically. 66% of parents admit to splurging on clothes during back-to-school shopping and 50% splurge on school supplies. Instead, spend where it counts on the things that last for a while.
- Price match before and after shopping. Price matching is where you compare the price of an item at several stores and ask them to match a lower price.
- Team up to buy in bulk. Those classroom supply lists can get pretty long, and lots of other parents have the exact same list. Team up with other parents in your child's class, and purchase the supplies in bulk.
- Wait to buy some items. Your kid doesn't need a brand new wardrobe or a year's worth of supplies on the first day. By waiting on some purchases, you can spread the cost across several months and possibly get better prices.
Read more at Nerd Wallet.