Popular Food Combinations You’ll Want to Rethink
Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day. According to nutritionists, pairing it with tomato soup is not always a good idea. Here are some popular food combos you might want to rethink.
- Grilled cheese and tomato soup. The cheese and the acid in the soup are hard to digest at the same time, you can end up with a stomach ache. Plus, the soup has a lot of sugar, the grilled cheese has a lot of fat, and they're both high in sodium.
- Chips and salsa. Mostly because you end up eating a ton of corn chips to get a relatively small amount of vegetables. And salsa isn't as filling as something like guacamole, which has healthy fats in it.
- Fruit as dessert. It's better than a big slice of cake, but your body digests animal protein a lot slower than the carbs in fruit. Eating meat and fruit back-to-back can create "digestive confusion" and make you feel bloated and gassy.
- Wine with dessert. Alcohol boosts your insulin production. Then your body decides it doesn't need the sugar from the dessert, and ends up storing those calories as fat.
- Sausage and biscuits. It's not the healthiest breakfast because of all the fat in it. But it also makes your insulin levels spike. Your body ends up using the carbs for energy first, and storing most of the fat.
- Muffin and orange juice. This combo has an excess amount of carbs which will cause your blood sugar to spike then drop. This makes you crash and feel fatigued.
- Burger, fries, and a soda. While it's probably the most popular combination, it's also has an unhealthy level of salt, fat, and sugar.
Read more at Business Insider.