Never Discuss These Topics That Could Make Thanksgiving Uncomfortable
A few safe things to talk about on Thanksgiving are TV shows, showbiz news, football, and the weather. Boring, yes, but safe.
Here are five not-so-safe topics that you might want to avoid:
- Trump. If you do talk politics, be respectful. Don't take the same tone with your relatives as you would with a random idiot on Facebook. If you know their views are the polar opposite of yours, you might want to just avoid it altogether.
- Family gossip. If you want to complain to someone about how your cousin still owes you that $500 you lent him, do it later and not in front of the whole family.
- Anything about religion that might be controversial. Like if your whole family is religious, but you decided you're an atheist now.
- Your weight. Joking about how out of shape you are can make other people self-conscious about their own weight. People are going to overeat on Thanksgiving, so don't make them feel extra-guilty about it.
- Too many good things that happened to you this year. Go ahead and mention a few, it is Thanks-giving after all. Just don't spend the whole meal bragging about how great your life is. If someone else is having a rough year, they might resent you for it.
Read more at Reader's Digest.