Man Checks For Natural Gas Leak With Match, Ignites Gas and Gets Burned
Here’s a guy that’s trying to get in the running for the Darwin Awards. A homeowner in Port Huron, Michigan thought he smelled a natural gas leak and tried to find it using a match.
Battalion Chief Mark Ford says the man smelled the odor that’s added to natural gas after he installed a water heater. He headed down to his basement to find the leak and lit a match.
The gas ignited, catching the man’s face and the electrical service box on fire. He ended up with first degree burns and singed eyebrows.
The resulting fire took crews and hour and a half to extinguish. The Battalion Chief warns people to call 911 if they smell natural gas.
Read more at The Times Herald.