Life Skills They Should Teach in School
Most states make kids learn CPR in high school now. But there are other practical skills they should probably be learning.
Here are some suggestions:
- Home improvement. Like how to fix a toilet that's running, or how to hang a shelf. Most stuff around the house is easy. It's just intimidating if you've never done it.
- Basic car maintenance. Like how to jump start your battery, or check the air pressure in your tires. Again, simple stuff a lot of people don't know.
- How to stick to a budget. They might touch on it in home economics, if that's even offered anymore or maybe a math class. But it's pretty important, so maybe they should actually focus on it.
- Self-defense. You'd just have to figure out a way to do it without kids getting hurt.
- How to do your taxes. A high school in Georgia actually started teaching kids a few years ago. Part of it was helping low-income families file their tax returns.
- Computer programming. Kids in England start learning how to code in elementary school now. But around 90% of schools in the U.S. don't teach it at all.
Read more at Mother Nature Network.