How to Choose The Perfect Pumpkin
The first weekend of October is going to be a popular time to hit up the pumpkin patches. If you're headed out to get yourself a gourd, here are some tips to choose the perfect one.
- Check the pumpkins for soft spots and signs of mold. Make sure to check underneath too. If it gives a little, the pumpkin isn't fresh.
- Pumpkins continue to ripen after they're picked. Choosing a lighter pumpkin now could give you a perfect deep orange one by Halloween.
- Look for one that has its stem intact. A dark green stem is a sign it was picked recently, compared to a brown stem.
- Look for pumpkins with flat walls and no deep ribs. These are better for carving.
- Skip the tall, oblong pumpkins. They typically have stringier flesh that makes precise cuts difficult.
- Set your perfect pumpkin on a flat surface to be sure it sits upright.
Read more at BioAdvanced.