Five Reasons You Should Always Take a Lunch Break
It can be tempting to just eat lunch at your desk, especially if you're behind on work or you actually like your job. But there are a few reasons you should think about stepping away and eating somewhere else more often.
- It helps you concentrate. Exposing yourself to too much of the same type of stimulus, like a computer screen, makes your brain get used to what it's seeing. Any kind of break helps you not to overlook important details.
- It protects your eyesight. Staring at a screen too long makes you blink less and can dry your eyes out. Staring at something that close to you all day can cause eye strain too.
- It might help you sleep better. One study found that even just a 15-minute break helps, because your eyes need time away from the blue light your computer screen gives off.
- It can help you slim down. A study found people who eat at their desk have an average waistline that's more than one inch bigger than people who aren't chained to their desk all day.
- It improves your mood. A study found people who take lunch breaks have a 30% lower risk of depression. Partly because you're more likely to go outside and get a little sunlight.
Read more at Daily Mail.