Five Proven Ways to De-Stress After a Long Week
Believe it or not, the best way to de-stress after a long week isn't going out and getting drunk with friends. Being social is good, but waking up with a hangover can make the rest of your weekend stressful.
Here are five proven ways to de-stress that don't involve alcohol:
- Unplug. Even just turning your phone off for a few hours can help. And definitely don't check work emails.
- Get some exercise. It doesn't have to be intense, and your main goal shouldn't be losing weight. Just find something you enjoy doing, like a sport. The endorphins that get released in your body can boost your mood and help you unwind.
- Take up a hobby or work on a project. That could mean anything from knitting to re-painting your living room. Just pick something productive or relaxing that has nothing to do with your job. It should be a break from your normal routine.
- Meditate. If you've never tried it, there are lots of free apps and YouTube videos that can help. More and more studies are finding how huge it is for mental health.
- Listen to music. It doesn't have to be classical, or some terrible "mood" music like massage therapists play. It just has to be something you like.
Read more at Mashable.