Celebrating the Release of “Caddyshack” with Fun Trivia
37 years ago today in 1980, Caddyshack was released, starring an all-star cast which included: Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, and an infamously unwrapped Baby Ruth.
Here's some fun trivia to celebrate the classic that is Caddyshack:
- The "Cinderella story" was completely improvised by Bill Murray.
- Carl Spackler was supposed to be a silent character until Murray was cast.
- Another improvised scene was the oil massage between Cindy Morgan and Chevy Chase. "You're crazy!" was her genuine reaction.
- All of Bill Murray's scenes were filmed in six days.
- A big hill was built to protect the course from climatic 18th hole scene. But too many explosives were used and the hill was completely destroyed.
- Harold Ramis avoided partying with the cast and crew until after filming wrapped up. After the wrap party he had to be carried back to his hotel room.
- Ted Knight was fed up with the constant shenanigans of Ramis, Murray, Chase, and Dangerfield.
- The crew partied so much that by the end of filming they would be hours late.
- Producer Jon Peters convinced Cindy Morgan to appear topless in the film by telling her she would never work in Hollywood again if she didn't.
- Harold Ramis wanted Pink Floyd to write music for the movie, but couldn't get them and auditioned Kenny Loggins instead.
- This was Ted Knight's final film.
- Cindy Morgan couldn't wear contacts for the pool scene and was legally blind without them, she had to be assisted onto the diving board.
- Mr. Gopher's noises are actually dolphin sound effects, the same used for Flipper.
- The Baby Ruth scene was based on a real-life incident at Brian Doyle-Murray's high school.
- The original length was about four and a half hours long.
- Rodney Dangerfield hired Don Cherry to teach him how to golf for the film.
- Most of the cast and crew lived in a motel near the filming location.